Goal: Align educational resources to meet the workforce and economic development needs of the region.
Preparing students for the world of work is vital and the business community universally recognizes the importance of education as it relates to a positive economic environment. It is estimated that by 2018, two-thirds of all jobs in the US will require some amount of college-level education – with more than half requiring some college, but less than a bachelor’s degree. By 2016, the percentage of jobs in Maryland requiring some college preparation will be 77% according to Maryland’s Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulations. To meet this demand, the Education Work Group recognizes that our region’s public school systems, community colleges, universities and the business community must collaborate at levels and in ways not before seen. Such collaboration will include learning about, understanding and responding to existing and anticipated workforce needs within our region, and developing educational programs and services to get more students the training, credentials, certifications and degrees needed for our region’s economic growth and development.
If we are successful, the Education Work Group sees a future where:
- We are aware of what each other (business/education) is doing; the business community understands what the educational system has to offer; education understands business’ needs;
- Students are significantly better prepared for post-secondary life (workplace and/or college readiness);
- We’re doing things together (K-12, Higher Ed, and Business) that attract people into our programs and impact economic development;
- Students understand their role as a consumer of education – e.g., they understand the economics related to their educational pursuits;
- We attract resources (e.g., grants) to support our interest because of the highly collaborative and regional nature of these efforts.
The role of TGCC’s Education Work Group shall be one of support and the convening of appropriate groups. Members of TGCC will continue to inspire the relationship with the leadership within its regional educational community in assisting with the review of its strategic plan, which ultimately could affect future growth opportunities in the region.
Frostburg State University Presents A Plan for Transformation – July 2015 – Click here to view the plan.
Regional Education & Workforce Survey Results – Released October 2013
Education Work Group Presentations to the Members of TGCC
In September, TGCC hosted K12 Superintendents Drs. David Cox (Allegany County Public Schools) and Janet Wilson (Garrett County Public Schools) to provide a presentation to members and guests specific to the Common Core Curriculum. Their presentation is available here. Following that meeting, TGCC’s Executive Committee requested a similar presentation from the perspective of teachers, PreK – 12, related to their training and implementation of the new curriculum. An outstanding team of educators from Allegany and Garrett Counties were asked to present information based on the following:
- Is there a certification process for teacher’s to transition to the Common Core Curriculum? What is involved in this training (i.e. what is the training timeframe period, what is included in that training, is it mandatory)?
- In shifting to the Common Core Curriculum, how will we measure up to the rest of the country? The rest of the world?
- Understanding every teacher is different and every student has unique needs, what is the expected average timeframe for both teachers and students to fully entrenched with the Common Core Curriculum?
- What is the one takeaway you want the business community to have after today’s presentation? In what ways can we be supportive of the commitment of our teachers?
The presentation reflecting a review of the above is available here. The accompanying documents are available below.
A list of acronyms and their definitions is available here to assist with references contained in the presentation.
June 2014 – Dr. Betty Morgan presents to member and guests of TGCC.